In June of 1882, Hugh John Macdonald (the son of Sir John A. Macdonald, first Prime Minister of Canada) established a law practice in Winnipeg. Two months later, J. Stewart Tupper (the eldest son of Dr. Charles Tupper, Premier of Nova Scotia, and later Prime Minister of Canada) arrived in the City of Winnipeg to practice law. These two lawyers formed a partnership known as Macdonald & Tupper and had their offices near the intersection of Portage (then known as Queen) and Main.
In succeeding years, the firm was joined by Stewart Tupper's youngest brother, William Johnston Tupper, who later became Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba; Sir Charles Stewart Tupper (the son of J. Stewart Tupper) and Charles William Tupper (the son of William Johnston Tupper). There was a Tupper practising with the firm from its inception in 1882 until the death of Sir Charles Stewart Tupper in 1960.
In 1916, Alexander Adams joined the firm and practised continuously with the firm until his retirement. He died in 1981. In 1946, his son, Raymond K. Adams, and in 1948, his son, Alan A. Adams, Q.C., joined the firm of Tupper & Adams. Raymond K. Adams died in 1991 and Alan A. Adams Q.C. practised law until 2008.
The current firm manager is George Van Den Bosch, a member of the Bars of Manitoba and Ontario.
Over the years, the firm has established a reputation for quality legal services, provided always with the client's interests of foremost concern. The work of many quality lawyers over the years has helped to develop the excellent reputation of the firm. Now over 133 years of age, the firm continues a varied practice and enjoys the respect of the community.